Do you care about helping solve some of the world’s most intractable problems in the food, energy, water and transportation space? Are you comfortable addressing a large audience and also geeking out with data and project management? Are you thrilled by project execution and completion? Are you gritty, scrappy and shrewd? Then this might be the position for you.
As the third employee of Launch, this opportunity affords high community visibility and responsibility working side by side with the Managing Director and Program Manager to create a smart and effective organization and a world-class energy accelerator.
The Community Lead is responsible for community engagement and events at Launch Alaska, building up and sustaining an ecosystem of innovation around Launch Alaska that engages investors, mentors, researchers, entrepreneurs, policy wonks and energy professionals of all stripes. Think hackathons, innovation sprints, hacking for energy courses and stakeholder conferences, on a boat, in Alaska’s inside passage. Seriously. This person should revel in getting their hands dirty and engaging in real Alaskan problems, while also finding creative ways to make participating in the energy innovation ecosystem fun.
The individual should also love data. They’ll lead our organization’s performance excellence program, gathering, analyzing and using relevant data and developing smart processes to help our organization learn, grow, and make the biggest splash possible.
The Community Lead should be passionate about improving the way we produce, consume and store energy, and care deeply about solving problems at the nexus of food, water, transportation and energy. A willingness to learn and comfort tackling new problems is a must. This individual will help us grow Launch Alaska into a world-class energy accelerator by building a galvanized community around our program.
- Lead all public-facing LA events (except for those tied to customer discovery track) and find fun and creative ways to engage with the innovation community.
- Take project management approach to event coordination
- Manage our CRM system to drive community engagement
- Work closely with PM and MD and other LA staff to drive key program goals
- Coordinate with MD in managing relationships with local and global sponsors of LA
- Coordinate with MD to act as liaison to investors and other stakeholders
- Develop and manage process for LA innovation and continuous improvement program
- Develop an approach to Launch Alaska data collection to facilitate impact and performance reporting
- Develop, track, report on and take responsibility for performance metrics for this position
- Calendar management (mentors, talks, events, general programming)
- Plan amazing events
- Assist PM with recruitment of companies, vetting applications, and company selection
- Represent LA in local community, both actively and passively
- Work on strategic initiatives, and develop meaningful and beneficial relationships across the LA ecosystem
- Assist with grant writing and reporting on as needed basis
- Provide direct and unflinching feedback
- 2 to 5 years in fast-paced project or program management focused position
- Understanding of issues around energy generation, transmission, storage and efficiency.
- Solid grasp of market dynamics and basic technical concepts around microgrids and distributed energy resources (DERs)
- Proven attention to detail through prior work or life experience
- Experience in event planning and event logistics
- Comfortable with a variety of responsibilities – meet with corporate leaders and wipe down tables!
- Fits the LA culture (results-oriented, adaptable, creative, direct communicator, hungry learner)
- Proficient in use of technology tools and programs
- Deep knowledge of lean entrepreneurship and accelerator tools and techniques
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Team player
- Great with details and follow up
- Insanely organized
- Ability to keep, maintain, and coordinate multiple schedules and projects
- On time delivery
- Smart data collection and analysis
Perks and Compensation
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Health Insurance
- 7% employer matching on TIAA-CREF pension after 1 year of employment
- Ability to grow with the program
- Heavy emphasis on professional development, especially within the the energy and cleantech sector
- Travel as it relates to position responsibilities
- Deep exposure to LA’s network of top caliber entrepreneurs, investors, mentors, and corporations
- An incredible opportunity set.
- A serious commitment to work-life balance that is not just lip service.
- 4 weeks paid annual leave
- Parental leave
- Approximately 40 hours per week, though this may vary depending on the time of year
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Duration of contract: 1 year with automatic renewal
- Reports: To Managing Director
- Potential travel to GAN conference and HI
LA is excited to bring a Community Lead to the team who will help take this program to the next level. If you’re interested, we’d love to have a conversation with you.
Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Applications for this position will be reviewed on October 27th, with interviews taking place during the week of October 30th.